New addition to the bestselling Legal Aspects in Healthcare series Provides a clear introduction to the laws relating to aspects of healthcare, case law and statute law Each chapter presents a practical case study to illustrate the relevant law Presents updated legislation, latest important cases and discusses the significance of the Common Sense Common Safety 2010
Includes essential new guidance on professional standards from the Nursing and Midwifery Council
An invaluable resource for all health professionals, students, lecturers, managers, safety representatives and those working within the health services
About the author
Bridgit Dimond is Emeritus Professor, University of Glamorgan
Table of contents
Lord Youngs report on Common Sense Common Safety 2010 and the simplification of health and safety laws and subsequent legislation and developments.
Implementation of the Corporate Manslaughter and Homicide Act 2007 and the first prosecution brought under it.
3 New Guidance from the Nursing and Midwifery Council on professional standards
4. New Guidance from the HSE on all areas covered in the book, including health surveillance, COSHH regulations, stress (with dedicated website for stress), violence at work; manual handling. The HSE guide for employers in implementing management standards. The HSE strategy for HSE in Great Britain Published: in 2009. Examples of prosecutions brought by the HSE; case studies on manual
5.The Health and Safety Offences Act 2008 which provides for higher fines and longer
6. EU Directives on patient safety and sharps
7. Updates on the new Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme introduced 2008
8. New Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency guidance, alerts, one liners and on
product incentive schemes to NHS staff.
9. New Medical devices regulations
10. Recent cases on Consumer Protection Act
11 Reports from the National Patient Safety Agency and failures of NHS trusts to act on
alerts; Future changes to the NPSA.
12. Developments within the public health sector including the Health and Social Care Act 2008 and 2010 regulations on public health and notification of diseases. Abolition of the Health Protection Agency and establishment of a public health service.
13 Role of Care Quality Commission and its powers of enforcement
14 Clinical negligence scheme for t